The First Lady of the United States is not elected to office like her husband, but she is often held to the same, if not higher standards than her male counterpart.
Here are, “12 Inspiring Quotes by First Ladies” to highlight some of the women who have helped make this country great and have helped open doors for women everywhere.
- I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition. – Martha Washington
2. Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. -Eleanor Roosevelt
3. We should all do something to right the wrongs that we see and not just complain about them.-Jackie Kennedy
4. I do or die, but I never cancel out. – Pat Nixon
5. The search for human freedom can never be complete without freedom for women.- Betty Ford
6. You have to have confidence in your ability, and then be tough enough to follow through.- Rosalynn Carter
7. A woman is like a tea bag, you can not tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.- Nancy Reagan
8. Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people – your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way.-Barbara Bush
9. Human rights are women’s rights, and women’s rights are human rights. Let us not forget that among those rights are the right to speak freely — and the right to be heard.- Hillary Clinton
10. Leadership is not about popularity, it is about doing what is right.- Laura Bush
11. Our motto is: when they go low, we go high.- Michelle Obama
12. I’ve always felt that a person’s intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic. – Abigail Adams